Tuesday, April 24, 2007

DC, Politicians and the Right to Vote

Over at EndTheColaWars the blogger brings up an interesting thing happening in DC, that the politicians are attempting to impose more taxes on Verizon Center items to fund $50 million for the Verizon Center for "upgrades". Mind you that this place is about a decade old so hardly has the problems of the Pittsburgh Penguins arena. This would also give the building to the DC Government in 2047, if we make it that long and we don't according to the Mayans.

The real kicker of all of this is that Abe Pollin, owner of the Center and I believe all the teams that play in it, is going to give the DC Government a luxury suite if they do this. These puppies run around $3-500k a year, but the criminals in the DC government basically are bribed to hand over $50 million that will "upgrade the Chinatown area". Problem with this, it's pretty much already upgraded as it is going to get as I doubt you could expand the area.

With this comes the push for DC to get the right to vote in national elections. I have a problem with this, and not just due to the Constitution. I hate to say it, but DC has not shown me they can vote with any intelligence. It is hard to find one DC politician who isn't a criminal of some kind. They continue to re-elect Marion Barry to various offices, even after he was busted smoking crack with a prostitute AND forgetting to pay his taxes. Show me some responsibility in voting and then I will consider it. No one forces you to live in DC, you want to vote nationally, move to Maryland or Virginia if you don't want to leave the area.

I know this is cold, but the simple fact is I don't trust the people of DC to vote on a national level. Now I'm sure some will scream and pull out the race card but there is no race card to pull out. I know many white people who live in DC and don't care about voting either way. Now it could be said that this country has a problem with national voting anyways (see 04 election, Dubya) and I would agree with you. Our nation is dumbing down to the point where we are almost regressing on the evolutionary chart. Folks should take serious the most prized gift they have and that is the gift to vote.

No comments: