Monday, April 30, 2007

Jerry Jones is my new BFF


Of course by now most of you have heard about how we, the Cleveland Browns, absolutely stole this draft. We had the best draft ever since our return to the NFL, and we couldn't have done it without our Bonnie to our Clyde, Jerry Jones. Not only did he allow us to get back into the first round to take the hometown kid, he also allowed us to get back into the second round to take maybe the best corner in this draft. We returned the favor, although way back in the sixth round, we still returned it. I wonder how Dallas is going to feel when we're not as bad as everyone expects and their first round pick is much later then theirs.

It matters not, Jerry Jones will probably deal those two picks to get to the top of the draft to get Ray Rice or someone of that nature next year anyways. In the end, this may have been the best day for Browns fans since the announcement that we were getting our team back. We have FINALLY got that core group of players that you need to be successful. We had all the extras to go with a team, just not that core, not that face. Well, it's here and the AFC North just became a four way race.

With that being said this week I will be giving my Draft grades for each team from worst to first. Seven today and tomorrow, six each day after that. I have read only Dr. Z's opinion of who did what so this is my own opinion, no one elses, but be warned, I'm usually right about this...most of the time, but other cases I blame on injury, Katzenmoyer.

32. Seattle Seahawks, D-. The only two players of notice I think for the Seahawks are Baraka Atkins, DE, Miami and Mansfield Wrotto, G, GA Tech. I like Wrotto a good deal, he was in my top ten of guards in the draft and I think it helps replace Hutchinson in the long run, not as good but at least reliable. Atkins will be a serviceable DE in to learn under Patrick Kearney. I think a good amount of their picks were stretches at people they believe will do better then they did in college. Marcus McCauley was still available but they went with the Maryland CB instead.

31. New Orleans Saints, D+. I liked the pick of Robert Meachem, even though I think for the fans you might have tried to trade up to get LSU's Dwayne Bowe, but that is only to make the fans happy, I don't see much space between Bowe and Meachem talent wise. The rest of the draft seemed to me to be one giant stretch, with all from small schools other then Antonio Pittman (which they traded up to get which made zero sense) and another Volunteer. If they turn out to be players, I will be pleasantly surprised but I do fear they really reached this year. The Pittman selection really boggled my mind, you have Deuce and Bush why Pittman? The only reasoning is that he will be the back who goes between the tackles so the mustangs are not injured or continually beat up.

30. Green Bay Packers, D+. When I think about the Packers draft all I can hear in my head is Carlos Mencina going, dee dee dee. I want to thank them on passing on Brady Quinn, but I seriously don't understand your thinking. You take Justin Harrell, which first round talent but I have this feeling he's going to be one of those guys you are shocked to find were first round picks five years from now. You had Bowe and Meachem on the board that could have helped Farve, but you go with Harrell. The only picks I liked by the Pack were Mason Crosby, the best kicker in the draft and Aaron Rouse, the safety from VA Tech. The rest seemed to be stretches and filler. Why draft two ILB when you have AJ Hawk, in a row non the less? Are we starting with the building of special teams before Defense and Offense?

29. Philidelphia Eagles, C-. In many ways I liked good portions of the Eagles middle round picks. I like the addition of Tony Hunt, RB Penn St, and Victor Abiamiri, DE Notre Dame, to their team. I think they fit well with the team chemistry. Taking Kevin Kolb, who I think may become very good, with your first pick (even if in the 2nd) was a mistake. He would have been there in the third for you. I mean, you could have given Donovan Dwayne Jarrett to play with but you passed to give your team a fourth quarterback. I think the Eagles had more needs then they actually addressed at the top of their draft and they dropped the ball in that sense. I didn't see much separation between Kolb and Jeff Rowe and Troy Smith who both went in the fifth.

28. Cincinnati Bengals, C-. Ah the Bengals managed to bungle another draft, breaks my heart it does. I like the picks of Leon Hall and Jeff Rowe, even if Hall has been beat by every big time receiver he played against. Hell, I really like it, it means Braylon Edwards will torch his fellow Wolverine when they play. Kenny Irons is my pick for biggest RB bust this draft, so that will be interesting to see if he gets any playing time with what they have already. Dan Santucci will be a serviceable guard for them to help alleviate the emptiness they must feel with Eric Steinbeck coming home to Cleveland. They merely had many holes to fill due to character problems that likely will happen and I don't know if they found those solutions here.

27. Jacksonville Jaguars, C. Trading down and still got Reggie Nelson was the best move they made, sadly it was a large draft filled with another case of stretching towards something that MAY be, not something that helps sooner rather then later. They did have eleven picks and I'm certain some of those players will at least be contributors in some fashion, if only special teams. Adam Podlesh is intriguing, a punter who runs a 4.43 40, don't know why you would need one, though if done right could make an onside kick VERY interesting. Then again, the Jaguars may just change another position of a player they take. I love Jack Del Rio and that's why this draft didn't fall farther, I think he knows what he's doing with this group of kids.

26. New York Jets, C. Only having four picks hurt their draft grade, and unlike the other teams with very few draft picks, I only really enjoyed their first two picks. Darrelle Revis, CB Pitt, and David Harris, ILB Michigan, I think are great additions to a defense that is getting very strong. The Jets definitely needed help in the secondary and he fills that immediate need. I like the pick of Harris because I think he is a football player, he just knows how to play the game and has a real passion for it. Plus if they are going to be moving or releasing one of their linebackers, this fills that hole as well. Jacob Bender I'm not too sure about, I would have moved up in the draft with the remaining picks, or one of next years, to continue to build that offensive line you got off to a great start with last year. It wouldn't matter who your running back was if the O-Line was that good to knock the defense on their collective ass.

That's it for the first batch, get ready for tomorrow as we finish out the twenties.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good one! i just made even more new emo backgrounds to my blog
http://www.emo-backgrounds.info