Wednesday, May 9, 2007

The National Pastime


Tom Verducci over at CNNSI has made his list of Top Ten Franchise Players under 25. I enjoy the list, have a few issues (why is David Wright so far down, is it because he is sucking right now, maybe, START PLAYING ASSHOLE I SPENT A FIRST ROUND PICK ON YOU!)but for the most part I like the list. That being said, and in tradition of my Mock Draft, I give to you the team I would field of under 25 studs. Well, a team in the field including pitcher, three utility men, another two starters and a reliever.

C. Joe Mauer, 24, Twins-The 2006 batting champ is without a doubt the easiest choice on this list. I can see someone making an argument for McCann, but then they're Braves fans.

1B. Prince Fielder, 23, Brewers-Anyone who is wondering what has gotten into the Brewers this season can look no farther then Prince Fielder. Every time I'm looking up this kid is making a big hit of some kind to help his team win.

2B. Robinson Cano, 24, Yankees-This was without a doubt the hardest position to chose from. There are at least four other players who could have been here (Upton, Kendrick off the top of my head) but to play consistently for the Yankees means you have ice water in your veins and I want that in a player.

3B. David Wright, 24, Mets-I know, some people would rather have Cabrera in this spot, but I see Wright as more of a leader then Cabrera and hence he gets the starting nod. Plus, this guy made the greatest defensive play I've ever seen last year, and that includes my entire life of watching baseball.

SS. Jose Reyes, 23, Mets-Right now he has to be the front runner for MVP in the NL. Him and Wright not only represent the best combination of SS and 3rd in the NL, they can be argued to be the best of all of baseball, sorry A-Rod and Jeter, the Yankees don't beat the Mets in this category.

OF-Grady Sizemore, 24, Indians-Here is the reason the Indians have been on fire the last few weeks. Without a doubt the best outfielder under 25, maybe even under 35. Next to Joe Mauer this was the easiest decision on this list. To think, he was one of a group of players the MLB ripped off the now Nationals when they had control of the Expos (see Bay, Jason, Lee, Cliff).

OF-Jeff Francoeur, 23, Braves-Sadly the rest of the outfield was not as easy as Sizemore. After Sizemore the list of outstanding outfielders dwindle a bit to just good players. I chose Francoeur because I think if he isn't the focal point of the offense he can blossom.

OF-Nick Markakis, 23, Orioles-This kid has shown real potential in his year and a half in the majors. On a team with people like Ramon Hernandez and Miguel Tejada, this kid is their other big name. He could be something special not being the focal point, much like Francoeur.

UTL-Miguel Cabrera, 24, Marlins
-I think he is the only Marlins player on my roster, with Dontrelle Willis just missing the pitching spot by a hair. Easily the third best player on this team, he'd likely replace Markakis in the outfield in the starting lineup.

UTL-Stephen Drew, 24, Diamondback-He would have easily been the shortstop if it wasn't for uberchild Jose Reyes. Now he is the utility infielder, maybe even playing 2nd if this is in the AL as he tends to be a better fielder then Cano.

UTL-Ryan Zimmerman, 23, Nationals-This kid was a beast when Soriano was here and had all the expectations to be the star. Since he left that has fallen upon Zimmerman and he is still adjusting to that role. When not expected to be a star there is one word that represents this kid, clutch.

SP-Matt Cain, 22, Giants-This kid looks like he will become the ace the Giants have always needed. He has great stuff, allows few hits, and is young enough to just improve. As long as they take care of his arm, he averages 200 innings a year right now, this kid will be money.

SP-Cole Hamels, 23, Phillies-Ever since this kid walked into the MLB last year he has impressed me. He isn't cocky as some think, he is merely confidant. He fully expects to win 20 games and a CY Young every year. I want that in a starting pitcher, not the arrogance that some have with it, just the confidence that he has.

SP-Francisco Liriano, 23, Twins-We don't know if he is playing again, but if he is I want him on my team. This kid has absolutely nasty stuff and is a winner, hands down. Easily the best pitcher under 25, I just hope he still has his stuff when he recovers.

RP-Huston Street, 24, Athletics-You knew I had to have one of my A's on this list. Who can argue that he isn't the best under 25 closer in baseball? A national champion from Texas, he just gets all kinds of bonus points from me.

No comments: