Wednesday, May 9, 2007

The Only Respect I've Given

Via ZMan once again


That is Texas Rep Ron Paul, one of the Republican candidates for President. Now, I know why I am respect him other then any other Republican candidates, he is listed as a Republican but considers himself a Libertarian, much like myself. So he would be a right leaning Libertarian to my left leaning Libertarian. He also appears to be the only Republican candidate going against the War in Iraq, via his website:
The war in Iraq was sold to us with false information. The area is more dangerous now than when we entered it. We destroyed a regime hated by our direct enemies, the jihadists, and created thousands of new recruits for them. This war has cost more than 3,000 American lives, thousands of seriously wounded, and hundreds of billions of dollars. We must have new leadership in the White House to ensure this never happens again.

Now, I have a few issues with his Border and Immigration ideas (mainly the ending of citizenship for children born of illegal aliens) I do like the fact he merely wants to enforce the laws already on the books. Then again, this history right here is the reason as he is the only Republican candidate to have any respect from myself.

He has never voted to raise taxes.
He has never voted for an unbalanced budget.
He has never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership.
He has never voted to raise congressional pay.
He has never taken a government-paid junket.
He has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.
He voted against the Patriot Act.
He voted against regulating the Internet.
He voted against the Iraq war.
He does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.
He returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S. treasury every year.

I'm going to contact his group to find out his stance on the religious rights involvement with this administration to see if he is someone we can actually support. I don't know about you, but I'd love to have two candidates this time around who are worth voting for.

No comments: