Wednesday, January 31, 2007

I like to think of myself as one of the happy generations.


Last night I was watching ECW and WSX respectively and I began wondering how far the wrestling world has fallen since 1998.

96-98 would likely be seen as the high point of the wrestling industry. Nitro and Raw were in a heated war for cable supremacy, one on the stars on yesteryear, the ones we grew up knowing, and the other was building what I assume they thought would be the stars of tomorrow. You had the nWo, DX, Stone Cold, The Rock, Goldberg and ECW. It was at an all time high, everyone I knew in high school (male wise) was watching professional wrestling. Then it all came crashing down like a Russian Space Station, the final nail being when Vinnie Mac bought WCW and ECW.

In the years that have passed we saw the future stars move on, Rock with movies, Austin with his own demons and injuries, and the booking became...well atrocious. I don't think the booking in the WWE has been right since 2000. I could book a better then those hacks if I were illiterate. The issue, maybe hiring Hollywood writers, other then that I'm not quite sure. This isn't what I was actually going to write about here today.

ECW, I wonder if Vince is really just trying to piss on legacies he didn't create now. He had no need to piss on WCW, they did that enough before their implosion. ECW never had that problem, their only issue was having someone doing finances that had no business doing that. Now we have this new ECW which some now call ECWWE, and it almost makes me sick sometimes. It has two wrestlers that I absolutely enjoy watching perform in CM Punk and Monty Brown.

Well, Monty is now called Marquis Cor Von and I'm pretty sure whoever came up with his music and video never saw him or new what he was about but it appears to be for some French Quarter pimp and NOT The Alpha Male. CM Punk came in like a wildfire and then soon after Survivor Series, when he received bigger pops then HBK and HHH no surprise they were in Philly, his push became a tug backwards. First you have him lose to Hardcore Holly, I can almost buy that. This week however they had Matt Striker pin him by holding the ropes. Now I enjoy Matt Striker more then most people, but when are they going to get over not knowing what to do with CM Punk? Put him in a program with lashley and go with it, end of story. He's the best wrestler you have on that brand, learn how to use him.

Wrestling Society X, MTV's latest creation, was interesting to watch last night. Now I am biased, I want to watch this show because it has one of our wrestlers, Ruckus, and another performer I've talked to, The Human Tornado. These two cats are the real deal and are over everywhere they go and I have no doubt that they will be over in WSX as well. I had two problems though with WSX this week. One, your announcers are fucking douche bags and couldn't commentate a wrestling match if there was a gun pointed to their heads. Zach Wylde of Black Label Society was doing a better job then those assclowns. Second, if you continue to cut to the crowd and back and forth so quickly you're going to give me and everyone else who watches your show seizures. Please, focus on the wrestling we don't car about the unwashed masses that came to those tapings.

In the end watching wrestling last night made me very sad for the sport that I and many others love with a passion. I am merely thankful that I have my own refuge of the EWA to go to and commentate for.

No comments: