Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The City That Never Sleeps

We have returned successfully and safely from New York City and what a time was had. I don't know what I expected when I went to NYC but I am very glad that I never act like a tourist whenever I go to a city. Let me make a simple explanation, I HATE tourists. Folks when visiting a city please move at a normal pace as to not slow down the rest of us who have some semblance of where the fuck we are going. I know there are many pretty lights on Times Square, but that does not give you the right to walk like a ninety year old man in a walker with a bad hip.

Other then the tourists, we had a great time. The weather really worked well for us, until Sunday night when the wind decided to see if it could kill us walking home from the bar. One of the best parts of the trip was getting to see my cousin who works in NYC. I have not seen him since my sister's wedding and it was a blast seeing him and meeting his new woman...even if she is a Broncos fan. Though a memo to drivers out there, I know it was Daytona weekend and all, but if you insist on driving like a bat out of hell don't yell and the man who you just drove the side of your car into. This was your fault, no need to come out like gangbusters, even if you're from Texas.

Our Hotel was very nice, small but we had no need for a lot of room. Though if you could see me taking a shit on a toilet where I am sitting at a 45 degree angle because there wasn't leg space you surely would laugh. I highly suggest Hotel Mayfair whenever you go to NYC. It's right next to Chicago and Spring Awakening and very cheap for the location. It is a beautiful place and we plan to spend all our trips to NYC in that place.

Now, let me explain something to all my faithful readers. Evil Dead The Musical may be the greatest thing that has ever been created in Canada. The original movie was billed as The Ultimate Experience in Grueling Terror; this play could very well be labeled as The Ultimate Experience in Comedy Musical Excellence. The cast was great, charismatic, and as Anita said, "Every single thing you thought while watching the movie is said during this play." We even came out of the theater with a "blood" soaked tablecloth that Ash used to cut off his hand. How, well a stage hand, my lady, and a guy's girlfriend who gave him shit for snatching it out of her hand. Yes, I now own a part of this play and it will go up (once dry) in my shrine of geekdom. Oh, and a quick word to the wise, if you hear Anita and I saying Stupid Bitch to each other have no worries, this comes from the play.

Spamalot was enjoyable as I expected it to be. I can see the original cast in their roles and knew how good this play was when it first opened. Even the replacements did a great job which says how well this play is written. My hat goes off to Eric Idle for doing this, way to bring in those who wouldn't bother watching Monty Python and expanding the audience to one of the greatest comedies of all time. It was scary how much the guy who was playing Arthur looked and sounded like Tim Curry.

Trash and Vaudeville was as great of a store as I was expecting it to be. So many pieces of clothing that I wanted to buy but couldn't because I am not your average skinny kid. I know, I know, I have to get into the gym since it is Spring Training and kickball is coming up, this trip merely reminded me of that fact.

Quick side note for the geeks out there, the co-director of the EDTM is none other then Hinton Battle. You all know him as the music demon Sweet from the Buffy Musical episode Once More With Feeling.

It was a great trip and we should go back again soon as we have to see Wicked sometime this millennium.

No comments: