Monday, April 16, 2007

Monday Movie Reviews

Blades of Glory, starring Will Ferrell, Jon Heder,Craig T. Nelson, Amy Poehler, Will Arnett and Jenna Fischer.

Will Ferrell has proven once again that he very well may be the best in the world right now when it comes to making comedies. Not just comedies, but comedies that sell and that almost everyone enjoys. My father didn't like Talledega Nights, but then again this is the same man who will watch The Edge whenever it comes on the TV.

Ferrell manages to chose rolls in which he creates a truly memorable character and has so many one liners one would think it was a Rock promo. I'm sure you have seen this in one of the many commercials for the movie where the review quotes are things said by Chazz Michael Michaels in the movie. To say that I would actually watch figure skating if Chazz was a part of it wouldn't be that much of a stretch. I still think my favorite line of the movie is, "That's how babies are made."

I'm not a big fan of Heder, Napoleon Dynamite was not as big of a hit for me as the rest of you, but I did enjoy him in this role. Jenna Fischer is HOT in this flick, but that's merely my opinion. Though the real life married couple of Will Arnett and Amy Poehler very nearly steal the entire movie. This movie is one of those that just click on every level and you don't want it to end and yes, some of my favorite scenes are when Olympic mascots get hurt in some fashion.

A-

TMNT Voice Talents Sarah Michelle Gellar, Mako, Patrick Stewart, Chris Evans, Kevin Smith and Ziyi Zhang.

I grew up a die-hard Ninja Turtles fan, I mean DIE HARD. When I went to visit my cousins in the hills, who lived on a ranch type property, we "trained" to be ninjas. I saw the first two live action movies, but was wise enough to bypass Turtles in Time as it was obviously a steaming pile. None the less, this movie follows those plot lines more or less and continues a few years after.

The only continuity problem I had was that ace reporter April O'Neil was now some antiquities dealer specializing in South American artifacts. Casey and April are living together, but their relationship is never truly stated until the end. They do do a solid job of keeping the type of characters they had in the movies, though thankfully they got rid of Splinter "making a funny".

This is a more serious version of the Turtles, one the RPG and comic book fans can enjoy, but not serious enough to drive away parents and children. The animation is absolutely fantastic and fits this type of movie perfectly. I would actually suggest this type of movie if they're not going to redo GI Joe. The movie itself is more about Leo and Raph's relationship and what happens when there is no one left to fight. What it does do is set up the franchise very well to continue on from this point, and I hope they made enough money to do just that.

B+

3 comments:

Reel Fanatic said...

Although I did like Napoleon Dynamite quite a bit, I'd have to agree with you that, between that and Blades of Glory, he's just been a major annoyance .. In Blades of Glory, though, he was a perfect foil for Ferrell's act, which was just friggin hilarious

Shauna said...

You should check out the Will Arnett Research Project at http://blutharnett.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I wasn't able see Blades of Glory yet, but I've seen previews and it looks like an awesome sports movie. Personally, I love Jon Heder and I would see it just because he is in it. Will Farrell and Jon Heder together will have me rolling on the floor laughing.
Blades of Glory is definitely on my agenda for the next movie to see, not to mention Roeper gave it a thumbs up and said, "Will Ferrell it is arguably the premiere clown working in movies today." Which is even more incentive to get out and see it!
You can check out the review for yourself at: http://www.atthemoviestv.com You can see high production video reviews on current and past movies. I work with Disney and just wanted give you the inside scoop!