Tuesday, May 15, 2007

I Hate Police Week


So this week is the annual Police Week in Washington, DC and I felt the brunt of it last night when I was DJing kickball. The highlight of the night was when the Suffolk County Pipers came down to The Swerve and played for a few minutes for our enjoyment. Being the resident kilt wearer I obviously got a huge kick out of it. Though I had to spend some of the time explaining to my friend why you don't ask an IRISH Pipers for Scotland The Brave.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't hate Cops, the job they do, or the people themselves. What I hate is this event in my bar. You see, I usually get to go home when they shut down The Swerve. The rest of kickball is gone and I can go home and sleep a lil sleep. Last night however was not the case, and I was not informed of such until about midnight. There was not many folks down there and so I played some of the harder requests that had been made. One of the managers didn't appreciate and as such I had to go back to the grind of country, 80s, pop and grinding music.

Let me tell you folks there is nothing more terrifying then see two late 30s early 40s cops grinding each other on the dance floor. I mean this was basically the cop version of Band Candy. Of course they would argue over what they want to hear, hip-hop and dance music or, "that college rock stuff the kids like". There was one gentleman, easily had to be in his fifties who was falling all over the place, passing out, knocking over beers, until his friend finally convinced him to attempt the stairs.

I finally was allowed to leave about 2am, and as I reached the top of the stairs I have never EVER seen The Times as packed as I saw it that night. They weren't letting people in it was so crowded. Of course the folks downstairs had no complaints, there was only about 30, compared to the two hundred or so upstairs. I walked out at one am or so for a smoke and these bastards were still coming out of the woodwork, I couldn't believe my eyes. We're not talking a few, we're talking in swarms of twenty.

The second blast of the evening was seeing the Sommerset County Pipers playing in the middle of the street and the go off marching into the barren streets of DC at one in the morning, with my hope they would wake the nation's capitol. I do not wish that night on anyone, a bunch of officers of law drunken as a kitten with catnip, all trying to obey the law. I will say this for them all, they can drink with the best of them, some just can't control themselves all the time.

No comments: