Monday, May 14, 2007

Stats are facts...right?

Carlos Mencia hit the nail on the head when this so called "report" was published recently. Of course they call more fouls on black players then they do on white players, they are the majority of the NBA. I think each team might have a token white guy, though only a few are considered "stars". Almost every white star in the NBA is a foreigner as well, (see Nash, Steve and Nowitzki, Dirk). Hell, let me go take a look at this year's All NBA team and see if I see any player who is a white American.

First Team: F Tim Duncan, F Dirk Nowitzki (German), C Amare Stoudemire, G Kobe Bryant, G Steve Nash (Canadian).
Second Team: F LeBron James, F Chris Bosh, C Yao Ming, G Gilbert Arenas, G Tracy McGrady
Third Team: F Kevin Garnett, F Carmelo Anthony, C Dwight Howard, G Dwyane Wade, G Chauncey Billups

Ok, so nothing there, if I had the time I would check each roster of starters to see how many of those people are white but off the top of my head I can say Luke Walton (American), Wally Szczerbiak (Spanish), Kirk Hinrich (American), Mike Dunleavy (American), Mike Bibby (American), and Mehmet Okur (Turkish). Of those the closest one of those players who can even get into the conversation is Kirk Hinrich, MAYBE Mike Bibby and Luke Walton a few years from now, but that's it.

Of course this all came out after the Tim Duncan ref suspension incident occurred right before the playoffs. I know there are a good number of people who LOVE, I mean absolutely adore, playing the race card (see Sharpton, Al). Sometimes there are definitely legitimate concerns about how certain races are treated (see LAPD) and other times it has almost nothing to do with it (see Bonds, Barry). Personally I don't see why a study like this even has to take place. To me, someone who was raised in a multi-cultural society in Northern California, the only racism I experienced growing up was my grandfather who still used racist words because he grew up in a time where that was the norm.

Racism is a huge problem still in this world and I wish it didn't exist, but what doesn't help the situation is when people try to use it where it as a scapegoat and there is no legitimate claim. That is why I see so many people pay no regard to anything that Al Sharpton says, because no matter what the situation the fault lies in racism. Shaquille O'Neal does not get called for fouls by NBA referees because he is black, it's because he is a huge lumbering oaf who just powers people that isn't allowed by the rules of the game. Bill Laimbeer was one of the all time biggest culprits of committing fouls, and he is about as white as they come.

On a quick side note, I always loved watching Bill Laimbeer play when I was a kid. Hell, I loved the Pistons style of play, even growing up in California where we had Magic, Worthy and Kareem. He was one of my top five players I enjoyed watching growing up (Dominique Wilkins is my favorite b-ball player ever) without a doubt. I believe he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, it always bugs me that we give this decision in some sports over to writers, they can be so fickle and can carry a grudge forever.

No comments: