Wednesday, January 31, 2007

My Resume From My Girlfriend


I asked Anita to assist with this intro section and I received the following (you can easily see why I love her so):

Guest Blogging on Demand

Hi, y’all! Clearly, I am not the Joker, but he asked me to write something up describing him, and any excuse to not be doing what I am actually paid to do is greatly appreciated.

So I asked the Joker what he wanted from me, and he responded with the entirely unhelpful “Write about me. Like, a biography of me.” And while clearly he can’t possibly be looking for a basic recitation of facts, I also have to be careful here because I am his girlfriend, and I’m not sure if “world class snuggler” is exactly the type of “biographical” information I am supposed to impart. So I’ll just do the best I can to walk some sort of line between the two.

I think the first thing that I noticed about the Joker is his passion for things. When he’s into something, he’s really into it. He defines it as “immersing himself in geekdom”, but I think it’s really more curiosity mixed with a need for authenticity. In other words, the Joker doesn’t become passionate for something because he’s up on the latest trends, read an article or two, or heard about it from his friends last night. He makes a point to be knowledgeable, aware, and involved in the things he loves to a depth a lot of people don’t reach. It makes him fascinating and, occasionally, infuriating.

The second thing I noticed about him is that he is very laid back. The Joker is, generally, a peaceful person to be around. He takes life as it comes and really embodies the idea of not sweating the small stuff. He isn’t a pushover by any means, but seems to have an innate grasp on things he can change and things he can’t, and really doesn’t seem to spend time worrying about things either way. For a type-A neurotic like myself, this is incomprehensible, but fabulous.

Both of the personality traits above are underlined by the fact that the Joker generally doesn’t care about other people’s judgments. I’ve never known him to compromise who he is or what he believes to fit someone else’s ideals. In fact, I think a large part of him enjoys being apart from the crowd. I think that overall he’s done a really good job of balancing the “I don’t care what you think, I will stay true to myself” attitude and generally being able to read and fit into a large range of social situations. I have been all sorts of places with Joker, from formal events to football games, and while he always adapts to his environment, he’s definitely always my Joker, as well.

I worded that very carefully above, because while the Joker may not care about other people’s judgments , it certainly doesn’t mean he doesn’t care about other people. In fact, the Joker has one of the biggest hearts of anyone I have ever met. I’ve met a large portion of his family, and I can see where he gets it from. He cares deeply about the people in his life and really goes out of his way to be of help whenever possible. Believe me, I have talked to most of the Joker’s friends, and I have heard more stories of his generosity, loyalty, and honor than I can count. Not to mention the countless incidents I have experienced myself.

Overall, the Joker is straightforward, honest, intelligent, funny, stubborn, sweet, and a whole bunch of other adjectives that don’t really mean anything until you meet him yourself. I know that as far as I am concerned the Joker is a pretty fantastic all around guy.

Of course, he’s also the best thing that has happened to me since I can remember, so I may be a little biased.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Honestly, that really does sum you up, Clint. She did a very good job. And, yes, I can definently see why you like her.

Liz