Tuesday, February 13, 2007

South of Heaven

My co-worker bought an iPod about a month ago and as such we listen to his music once Elliot in the Morning is off the air. Today he has decided that Tuesdays Gone, namely it's Lynyrd Skynyrd day. I have no problem with this, and not just because my Uncle drives their tour bus. My mother raised my on Lynyrd Skynyrd, many of my favorite songs come from Skynyrd, hell my favorite band growing up was Skynyrd. It may shock some people, perhaps since they sport the stars and bars so much, but they're merely targeting their audience. I mean hell, it's called SOUTHERN rock for a reason, and you’re selling towards the south. As far as we have come in this country, the south still believes in the stars and bars, and yes I know how sad that really is.

I love the music because it's good, nay it's great, rock and roll. Freebird is still in my top five of songs of all time. Is there a better guitar solo out there then the live version of Freebird? My sole reason for wanting to learn how to play the guitar is learning how to play Freebird. Just to rock out on one song for ten minutes, you just don't see that anymore.

This leads me to the grammys, which congrats to the DC, I'm sure it is well deserved but music today sucks. They tried passing it off as they had performances for anyone's taste...unless you like your music hard. Plenty of rap, pop, emo, and dance but where was the ROCK?! The following are the performers for the evening...
Christina Aguilera doing James Brown
Beyoncé-R&B/Pop
James Blunt-Pop
Mary J. Blige-Rap
Chris Brown, Lionel Richie & Smokey Robinson-R&B
Dixie Chicks-Country
Justin Timberlake-Dance
Ludacris, Mary J. Blige & Earth, Wind & Fire-Rap
Gnarls Barkley -Dance
John Legend, John Mayer & Corinne Bailey Rae-Who the fuck knows
The Police -Pop
Red Hot Chili Peppers-Sell Outs
Shakira & Wyclef Jean -R&B
Justin Timberlake, Robyn Troup, & T.I.-Dance/R&B
Carrie Underwood & Rascal Flatts -Country

Where is the ROCK?! The Chili Peppers? Maybe if this was 1992, but they seem to have gone the same way Metallica and The Beastie Boys went and "evolved". You had Wolfmother and Slayer win Grammys, but no performance. Is everyone so bent out of shape the night that Rage Against The Machine went fuckin loco on stage and started climbing shit? Release us from your craptastic music hold on the radio, on the MSM, and deliver us from the horror you have unleashed up this world.

The main awards were basically a contest between six groups/singers; Gnarls Barkley (who I do enjoy), Dixie Chicks (who I respect), James Blunt(zzzz), Mary J Blige (don't care either way), Justin Timberlake (who I have gained a good deal of respect for as an entertainer) and Corinne Bailey Rae (whoever the fuck that is). It was nice to see the Chicks win and all, and at least they have some edge, but where the fuck is the music that supposed to make you feel?

Where are the songs that get you emotionally evolved and not just a song you could bop your head to or could be made into a catchy jingle? There used to be passion in writing music, people put their hearts into songs, Hey Jude was written to one of the Beatle kids for crying out loud. Please, I wish there was some savior on the horizon to deliver us for this evil. Sadly Rollins Band doesn't tour much anymore, Dimebag is dead, Metallica sold out, and Skynyrd is only one person after the plane crash. Please deliver us from these money hungry whores who will give us reheated shit for music, until then we have to keep on keeping on. We must cling to the backs of bands that have been there for us through thick and thin, through Ace of Base and Chumbawamba.

Rollins Band, Slayer, Lamb of God, Anthrax, Tech N9ne, Megadeath, I salute you for your constant deliverance of great music. You stand tall among bands who sell their souls just for some face time on TRL. Please continue to rock to your heart's content and we will stand by you till Xenu comes and kills us all.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Corinne Bailey Rae

No idea who she is, but looks good in the photos I saw.